GOT A MOUTH ULCER AND CONFUSED ABOUT HOW TO CURE IT? GET A COMPLETE GUIDE TO MOUTH ULCER TREATMENT HERE.
MOUTH ULCER MEDICINE NAME – Not one but many problems stand in the way as hindrance in the perfect functioning of the most frequently used part of the body – mouth. One such thing that is a common annoyance in daily life is mouth ulcers.
What could make them go away? Find out the best mouth ulcer medicines’ names, here!
WHAT IS MOUTH ULCER? IS IT COMMON?
Mouth ulcers can best be defined as painful sores developing on any of the parts of the mouth be it on the tongue, gums, inner cheeks, inner lip as well as throat. Ulcers can also develop on the esophagus. These interrupt the daily activities like chewing, swallowing the food and sometimes speaking.
Every person is believed to have had ulcers in mouth at some point in their lives. Some of these are recurring. They can affect a good 20% of the entire population.
HOW LONG DO MOUTH ULCERS LAST?
Luckily, the term for their existence is significantly short. In most of the cases, they heal within a week while in others, the duration can range between 10 – 14 days. In severe cases, they may require a significant amount of time.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES?
Daily activities are the most common reason for mouth ulcers. They are as follows:
- Brushing the teeth too hard and vigorously
- Biting the lip or tongue or inner cheek
- Consuming hot food or beverages that may cause burns
- Irritation from braces, dentures or retainers
- Chewing tobacco
- Quitting smoking
- Consumption of acidic fruits
- Stress and fatigue
- Deficiency of vitamins
- Folate deficiency
- Issue in the intestines
- Hormonal changes
- Week immunity system
- Consumption of OTC medications
- Yeast infection like oral thrush
- Bacterial or fungal infection
- Autoimmune disorders like AIDS
- Oral infections in children like Gingivostomatitis
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?
The symptoms for mouth ulcers may differ in people. However, one thing that remains constant in all is the pain that can be worsened by unimproved daily habits.
The other symptoms are as follows:
- Difficulty in chewing
- Difficulty in swallowing the food
- Swelling around the sore
- Irritation while consuming spicy or acidic food
- Loss of appetite
WHEN TO VISIT A DOCTOR?
Mouth ulcers are not very serious. However, in certain situations, their recovery may demand the guidance from a medical expert. Prescribed mouth ulcer medications are the only solution in adverse cases.
Your hint to consult a doctor is:
- When the ulcer lasts longer than 2 to 3 weeks.
- When the size of the ulcer is abnormally large.
- When the point of occurrence of ulcer is somewhere near or at the back of the throat.
- When the ulcers keep recurring very frequently.
- When the ulcers bleed and cause severe pain and redness.
HOW IS IT DIAGNOSED?
The process for diagnosis is not too complex. A visual examination through naked eyes is sufficient to figure out the condition. In cases where the ulcer is located somewhere at the back of the throat, a procedure of Laryngoscopy that involves visual examination through light and a small mirror, may be involved.
WHAT ARE THE TREATMENTS AVAILABLE FOR MOUTH ULCERS?
The treatment for mouth ulcers is very versatile. From home remedies to medication, all have proven to be useful in treating them effectively.
The basic medication starts with home remedies, for example:
- Using a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Gargling with salt water
- Placing ice on the sores or consumption of cold food and drink.
- Avoiding spices
- Avoiding acidic food
- Applying a paste of baking soda and water on the ulcer
- Dabbing milk of magnesia on the ulcer
- Staying hydrated
- Avoiding food that requires too much chewing
- Maintaining oral hygiene
- Applying a cooling paste made with honey and coconut oil.
- Chewing jasmine leaves.
- Rub garlic over ulcer to kill the host microorganism.
- Applying pure aloe vera on the ulcer for a cooling effect.
- Applying haldi and water paste on the ulcer to cure inflammation and bacterial growth.
- Chewing cloves for killing off bacteria
- Applying ghee to cure swelling and pain
The most widely known medication preferred by all is mouth ulcer gel, in India. The other are as given below:
- Consuming medication for pain like acetaminophen.
- Using an alcohol-free mouthwashes.
- Consume supplements containing things like zinc, vitamin B-6, folic acid.
- Applying antiseptic mouth ulcer gels. One of the most known mouth ulcer medicine’s name is Orasore.
- Using alcohol-free ointments.
- Consuming other over-the-counter medications, pastes, etc.
- Mouth ulcer tablets – B Capsules (B-12) and Hydrocortisone Buccal tablets have proved to cure the sore ulcers.
Some other famous mouth ulcer medicines’ names are : Orajel Antiseptic Mouth Sores Rinse, Releev Cold Sore Treatment – Gel medicine, Dentek Canker Cover Canker Sore Patches.
Mouth ulcers may be small in size, but highly problematic. In a way, they are a complete turn-off. In cases where they are recurrent, life can be a little difficult. Thus, a medical check is the best way to ensure a quick recovery.
A perfect blend of rome remedies and the prescribed mouth ulcer medicines from a medical expert can help you cut off this huge trouble from life.